i’ve found myself with a lot of spare time recently so i’ve been reading a lot of articles, watching a lot of videos. and with tons of sleep, i feel like a sponge soaking up everything i’m putting my eyes on.
a documentary on the findings of Gallop poll on the general opinions of muslims on everything. here are some things to think about:
- 57% of the islams portrayed in american media are radical militants
- 57% of americans admit that they know very little or nothing at all about islam
- the muslims are the only people left that America can criticize and blame and get away with. they are the scapegoats of our generation.
- Canada, despite being very similar culturally to the states, has a much lower disapproval rating 3%, compared to 63% of America because of the different foreign policies. (Mind you that Kuwaitis is the country which America saved during the Gulf War)
- America set up those dictators in the Arab world twenty, thirty years ago in the first place and funded, trained them because the dictators kept the oil going and put a lid on the people
- 9/11 is only a small motivation for the Iraq War. The real reason is decades of anti-Arab thinking.
- What islams really think: they don’t promote violence, they think 9/11 is unjustified, they are more concerned about their security because most of the victims of violence are muslims themselves
- Jihad is actually full of positive connotations. perseverance, struggle for change.
- Experts, polls, politicians shouldn’t be our primary source of the voice of Islams. It should be islams themselves that we should be talking to and understand.
- Is it that hard to believe that Islams also share the same desire for freedom, prosperity, happiness, and for the human spirit to reach its full potential.
It’s also personally frustrating that I’m always only reading and learning. What is the point if I never put it to good use? I need to do something.